I love rustic home decor! It feels effortless, and many pieces are very affordable or easy to make yourself (see our DIY Pallet Board Coat Rack and Easy DIY Barn Wood Frame posts for ideas to get you started!). Now that our kiddos are solidly school-age, and there’s less flurry of messy diapers and juice cup refills, my husband and I have put away the baby gates and are starting to get a bit fancy. You know, the occasional paint can makes an appearance while some of the original curtains from the 70s are politely shown the door. We’ve begun to take a go at sprucing up our home and as time and budget allow. So when the barn door hit the decoring scene with their promise of a cool rustic touch for your home, my interest was piqued…and I haven’t looked back.
Why are barn doors so great? What’s the big deal? And is it really worth it to get one for your home? That’s what I’m here to scoop you on, friends. Settle in for a minute, and let me tell you exactly why these doors are getting such buzz!
6 Reasons You Need a Barn Door in Your Home
- The footprint is small. If you have a small space, like the bathroom off our master bedroom, it saves space to go without a swinging door. It keeps the area open and actually makes it feel bigger!
- They are large wall coverings. While we endlessly debated where to install our barn door, we ultimately placed it on our upstairs hallway bathroom, as the wall space was large and empty. It was a classy, easy way to decorate a large space. (and by the way, they DO make locks for barn doors, so no worries using them as a bathroom or bedroom door!)
- They go well with a range of decor. While there is a huge selection of designs, finishes and styles (check out the Erias Barn Door collection from Wayfair!), barn doors are typically simple in style and neutral in color. So while they are a classic statement in any room, they do not overwhelm the decor you already have in place.
- You can install it easily yourself. No really, you can! Ours was hung in a short evening.
- They are built to last. With sturdy wood and metal hardware, this door can stand up to years of use.
- You get your money’s worth! With so many options available, you needn’t spend a fortune, and barn doors, simply put, look really, really cool. If you want to make an upgrade in your home but can’t swing a big remodel, a barn door is a super way to change things up and make a difference without breaking the bank!
Sold yet? I know! I am truly tickled with of our barn door, and can’t recommend adding one to your home enough. Spruce up the smart way, friends!
Latest posts by Meredith (see all)
- 5 Reasons You’ll Love a Visit the Hershey Gardens with Kids - April 17, 2019
- 5 Smart, Easy Ideas to Live Your Best Life Everyday - April 15, 2019
- Life Hacks to Keep Your Days Running Smoothly - April 13, 2019