Last week, Anne shared her genius ideas for how to organize a mudroom in a small space, which were tips I desperately need for our mudroom-less, foyer-less home! With creative ways to stash coats on my mind, when Wayfair asked what is the one DIY fix I wish we would have thought of sooner in our home, my husband’s DIY pallet board coat rack immediately popped to mind.
First, let me clarify the problem: no foyer, whatsoever. While I am working on putting some of Anne’s tricks in place out by our garage entry, there is literally no room to add anything of volume by our front door (see picture below for evidence).
Our previous “solution” was to stand an old-school coat rack in the dining room. I know, truly was as hopeless and weird as it sounds, especially with toddlers toddling around.
Enter my husband’s inspiration, who, while not on Pinterest, did a quick Google search and then came up with this easy DIY pallet board coat rack idea:
What are the 3 easy, cheap steps to a DIY Pallet Board Coat Rack?
- Trash pick. No, I’m serious. My husband popped out the night before trash pick up in our neighborhood and grabbed a used pallet board. Yup, we’re that cheap. We then grabbed six inexpensive coat hooks, similar to these at Wayfair. (Time cost: 10 minutes. Money cost: $5 x 6 = $30)
- Attach the hooks to the pallet board. My husband asked if I’d like for him to finish the pallet board with a stain, but I’m a huge fan of the rustic, natural look. He sanded down some of the rougher parts, but otherwise left well enough alone (Time cost: 15 minutes. Money cost: pennies for the sanding paper)
- Bolt it on the wall. (Time cost: 2 minutes. Money cost: the negligible expense of the bolt to secure your coat rack to the wall).
Total project cost for a DIY Pallet Board Coat Rack?
Time: Less than 30 minutes + Money: $30 & pennies = TOTAL WIN!
Does it actually work? YES! We stash all of our coats and hats here year-round and bonus? We can still open our front door! In my book, this easy, cheap DIY pallet board coat rack is a total win!
Pop by my DIY Pinterest board for more ideas and inspiration for putting pallet boards to good coat rack use.
Only regret? Wishing I’d thought of it sooner before suffering all those silly years with the sad standing coat rack in our dining room! Go get your DIY on now, friends–you’ll love the result!
***Thank you to Wayfair for sponsoring this post. My delight in our DIY Didn’t I Think of This Sooner idea is 100% genuine!***
Latest posts by Meredith (see all)
- Blue Pumpkins for Autism Awareness - October 20, 2021
- Make Learning Fun: 6 Ways to Mix Play and Education - October 19, 2021
- 9 Reasons to Visit Hersheypark in the Dark This Year - October 11, 2021