Thank you to Wayfair for sponsoring this post so I could share this cool Book or Treat idea with you!
We have recently fallen head over heels for our Little Free Library and are so enjoying finding ways to keep it updated and part of our community! When my daughter was inspired to include our library in Halloween celebrations, we added a treat cup to the library, and then, with the help of Wayfair’s spooky season decor, the idea of Book or Treat quickly took shape!
Book or Treat with your Little Free Library
Book or Treat is such a neat idea for your Little Free Library! In short, on Halloween (or whenever your community does Trick or Treat), hand out candy by your library and encourage visitors to grab a book when they stop by as well. This is also a super way to introduce your library to community members who might otherwise pass by. Here’s the easy how-to-for making Book or Treat happen with your library!
How to Host a Book or Treat with your Little Free Library
- Decorate your library for the fun. Anything that lights up will help draw attention and make it easier to see the books too. Since we don’t have an outlet anywhere near our tree, any decorations had to be battery-operated. I found these sweet pumpkin lights on Wayfair, and used them to decorate the library itself. Since too many decorations on the library might make it difficult to open and close, I then selected two free-standing trees to place around the library.
- Stash a bag of extra books near the library in case Book or Treat is a smash success! I just went through my kids’ book collection and have a pile of children’s books I can use to refill the library if need be. I am also keeping a few extra adult books on hand because I will be encouraging parents to grab books as well!
- If you have flyers explaining how your Little Free Library works (grab our free printable for flyers HERE!), print extra copies to have on hand in case visitors would like to grab one.
- Stock up on candy and fill a bowl with the yummy treats! You may want set the bowl on a table or enlist the help a family member or friend to help manage candy distribution (especially if your library is a high-trafficked Trick or Treat area), to enable you to chat about the library with visitors.
And that’s it! Your Little Free Library is ready for Book or Treat! If you have any other ideas for how to make this event a success, please share below. Happy Halloween and Happy Book or Treat, friends!
For more Halloween fun from Wayfair, upload a photo to their pet costume photo contest. Details HERE. I uploaded one of my two (super-thrilled! 😉 ) pups and I’m still giggling–check it out!
Latest posts by Meredith (see all)
- Kid-friendly St. Patrick’s Day Charcuterie Board - February 23, 2021
- 4 Things to Look for in a Family Home - February 16, 2021
- The Twelve Dates of Christmas Book Club Discussion - February 5, 2021