What’s that? You want to know all the crap that happens here behind the scenes at The Mom of the Year? I could sum it up for you in one sentence: It involves a lot of self-induced stress and late-night begging my husband to edit my posts (yes, the dear man proofs every single one), but some have been asking about the nitty-gritty.
Let me be clear: I think I know NOTHING, but I know it always helps me when I read about how other bloggers actually make this crazy gig work, so I’ve decided it’s time to give up my secrets–all of them.
What don’t you know about the way I blog but wish you did? Hold onto those hip mobile devices, my friends, we’re getting down and we’re getting dirty.
1. I used to work during naptime. Now my son doesn’t nap anymore. This translates into a boatload ton of Curious George and juice box bribes. Yes, I suck as a parent. Please feel free to hop in and beat me up. I already do it to myself everyday. But the sticky-wicket about having a job but no childcare to go with it? It sucks.
In a dream world, I would get up with my husband at 5am every day and work my tail off until the kids get up at 7 and then revisit during naptime, but…6am seems so much friendlier, and like I said, naptime is a nonentity nowadays. So blogging gets squeezed in the corners. One thing I’m hard and fast about? I don’t blog at night except on rare occasions. Not because I’m cool and have time management aced, but because I am lame and totally wiped after I get the kids in bed.
2. Hold the phone–computer graphics? Tech-support? I was a social worker in my pre-kid life. Enter the wonderful husband–again. I know how to add pics and stuff. And by “stuff” I mean nothing else. He does it all for me. There are loads of people out there who know what they’re doing, so if you’re not in-the-know yourself, a blogging career is not lost. Find help (albeit possibly paid help)–and use it. Also, if you didn’t pick up on this by now, I don’t do graphics, except for posts I get REALLY excited for, like yoga pants. You can still make this thing work without being a computer genius.
3. A schedule? HaHA! Can you hear me laughing all the way to an overwhelmed panic of having no control over my life?? Listen, I used to write at least 2 weeks out. It was awesome. And then… it ended. Now, it’s all hand-to-mouth around here. Many nights I look at the laundry pile and then at the laptop and then back again–at least 7 times. It becomes very unclear as to whether clean underwear or a blog post is more paramount. If there is a definite scheduled date, like a guest post, that gets noted on the calendar–but not necessarily written until the last minute (caution: only ask me to guest post if you have nerves of steel. xo)
4. I hate social media. Plain and simple. I have learned it only because I need to know it. Facebook algorithms for shares will always baffle me, but now, after about 1.5 years of engagement, I know enough to pimp myself out as a “social media manager”. I can make enough of a go at Twitter, Pinterest, and G+. But rest assured, to be abundantly clear, I hate all these platforms. I am the wrong generation. I’m of the crew that still uses the phone (gasp!) and who likes e-mail. A lot, actually. I know, I know…I’ll just go rock out with some M.C.Hammer and wear my side pony in a neon pink hair tie.
5. My #1 advice to any blogger: Know your priorities in life. I do not. I try. I try hard. I look at my kids and know they will never again be this young. And then I put up a post, have people tell me they love it and feel a deep stuffed-down love of writing bubble up and feel really neat. And then I hear a loud crash from the kitchen as the dishes topple over. And then bags form under my eyes after several sleepless nights and I feel more confused than ever…
Point? Don’t take your cues from me. Obviously, I’m a hot mess. But I like blogging. Moreover, I feel called to blogging, so think I’ll keep pouring my heart into it until God tells me otherwise.
In the meantime, if you want to hang out in the dirty, messy side of the blogosphere, know that I’m there too–3 days out from my most recent shower and panicked over how to best promote my last post right there with you.
Latest posts by Meredith (see all)
- Top 5 Things to do Before You Move - January 22, 2019
- 10 Quirky Valentine’s Day Gifts to Make Your Sweetie Swoon - January 21, 2019
- One Day In December Book Club Discussion Questions - January 4, 2019