My 90s fashion throw-back post seemed to resonate, so I thought we’d take another step-back in time. Per my (supremely shotty post-childbirth) memory, these are the top ten 80s shows that rocked my world. Full disclosure: I know I am forgetting some of the good ones, likely some of the really good ones–so please chime on in and tell me what your bad 80s-self is still digging…;)
|Infamous train set and object of every child in America’s desire…|
1. Silver Spoons: What kid didn’t jealously hate on Ricky Schroder for that amazing in-house ride-on train??
2. The Cosby Show. Duh. Obvious. My husband still says, on an at-least-weekly basis, “they just don’t make good family shows like the Cosbys any more…”
3. Different Strokes. This one actually originated in 1978, but extended into 1986. The orginal shows and syndicated repeats were definitely a ginormous part of my formative years. I know “Whatchu talkin’ bout Willis?” still vibrantly echos in the minds of all us 30-somethings today…
4. Mr. Belvedere. MR. BELVEDERE. I love loved him. I didn’t necessarily require a butler myself–just that sweet English man in particular.
5. Family Ties. I named my daughter after Meredith (my name, incidentally) Baxter-Birney’s character, Elyse (not really)–do I need to say more? Give it up for the Keatons, everybody.
6. Growing Pains. Dreamboat Kirk Cameron and what female trigenarian’s heart doesn’t just bleed a little for Tracey Gold and her eating disorder pain? Let’s not forget this is where Leonardo gained some early traction and yes, that was indeed sweet young Chrissy all grown up in the recent The Help blockbuster.
7. ALF. Alf. To echo my husband, “they just don’t make them like this any more”. Somehow, Wizards of Waverly Place (and yes, I do secretly adore Selena Gomez) just can’t compete with an extraterrestrial-come-to-earth. Oh, the unmitigated bizarre plight of the Tanner family…
|V.I.C.I. She was adorable.
She was perfect. She was REAL.
8. Small Wonder. LOVE. IT. Who says Vicki wasn’t a real girl??
9. Punky Brewster. I scored a “Best of Punky” DVD on Black Friday. Can’t tell you how much fun my friend and I had taking a trip down Memory Lane during her recent visit. Henry was just boss and that girl had fashion savvy like no other.
10. Today’s Special. Yes, this was a children’s show. Remember: the one with the department store mannequin?? I was in love, enamored, in fact. Yes, I will admit–was a little more inclined to put a ring on it after I discovered my husband also watched this show growing up. Right up there with compatible religious beliefs and family values, it seemed important.
My husband is burned that the A-Team got booted from the Top Ten. It was on there until I remembered Punky, but sorry–I was a very girly girl and some how Punky’s pigtails just trumped Mr. T’s mohawk for me… 😉 In any case, chime in, my friends. I know you’ve got boatloads to add!
Latest posts by Meredith (see all)
- Pool Day Prep: What to Pack for Your Baby - July 22, 2021
- 8 Fun and Healthy Activities You Can Do As a Family - July 15, 2021
- Helping Moms to Cope After After a Difficult Birth - July 13, 2021