You’ve got them, we all do. Those really bad cheesy Christmas tunes that fill the airwaves come December that you secretly love? You might try to blow them off publicly with a good eye roll, but score a little alone time in the minivan and you know you’re cranking them up and crooning along at top volume.
When the very witty, very cool, looks-so-sophisticated-with-a-wine-glass-in-hand (seriously, check out her profile pic) Kim of The Fordeville Diaries shared her idea to do a Christmas Music Confessional, I was so in. I am a sold-out Christmas music dork. If I wasn’t pretty sure my husband would divorce me, I would crank the tunes out year-round. I’d like to keep him around, so I limit myself to the holiday season, but believe me, I get my fill during these precious few weeks.
I’m not even sure where to start because there are too many that I love, and I know you potentially have things more important to do than reading the longest blog post in history about my favorite Christmas songs? So I’ll limit myself to listing 6 of the cheesiest, most corny tunes that I am crushing on during this festive time. Here’s what’s rocking my playlist:
1. “Christmas Wrapping” by the Waitresses. Hands down, my favorite. It’s just so darn punchy and poppy, I instantly start to chair dance a whenever it comes on. I’m not even entirely sure what this song is about. I know there is a girl who is feeling the holiday hustle and bustle (relatable) that keeps trying to connect with a guy she’s interested in (sweet), so it works. Let the bouncing in my seat commence.
2. “Last Christmas”. You love it or you hate it. I love it, and it’s gotta be the Wham! version. Taylor Swift, you are adorable, but it’s has to be the original if I’m going to get all sappy sad about unrequited love over the holidays. As I sway in the driver’s seat on the way to preschool drop off, I just keep cross-finger hoping George Michael finds his “someone special”.
3. “Snoopy’s Christmas” by the Royal Guardsman. When it gets to the chorus, I am belting out “Christmas Bells those Christmas bells” with the best of them. A lifelong love of Peanuts that easily crosses generations makes this a favorite tune for parents, kids, and grandparents too. Leaves you with a sweet warm feeling as you cheer, “go Snoopy!”.
4.“Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” by Brenda Lee. Does this conjure up the scene in Home Alone when Kevin is making all the manquins dance in front of the windows for anyone else? This is instantly what I think of when I hear this tune, but I love that movie, so it works for me. And the song is happy, peppy and everything I love about the holidays. Crank it up!
5. “Do They Know It’s Christmas Time” by Band Aid. An obvious choice, but the message is rock solid and it’s a beautiful reminder to take this time of the year to care for others. Plus, I know all the lyrics since I’ve been hearing it non-stop for 18 years, so it makes me feel cool to be able to sing along to a song without having to make-up half the words.
6. “I’ll Be Home for Christmas”, the Toby Keith version. When Toby belts out this tune, his beautiful voice is showcased in all its glory. and is there any other song that fills you will such a perfect nostalgia for your childhood Christmases and all those sweet memories? It has the uncanny knack of allowing you to be sad, happy, and filled with the Christmas season all at the same time.
I wish I could say I was embarassed to admit that I love these songs, but the thing is, I’m just not. I’m proud to be a cheesy Christmas song geek and that is my Christmas Music Confessional.
Thanks for letting me play along, Kim! Be sure to check out her list of corny songs that are topping her playlist and the lists of some of my other favorite funny bloggers. And then crank up the radio and belt it out. We’ve got some Christmas cheese to spread!
Latest posts by Meredith (see all)
- ZooAmerica 40th Anniversary! - April 24, 2018
- zulily’s Mother’s Day Shopping for a Genius Win! - April 23, 2018
- DIY Flower Bouquets with Kids: A Most Beautiful Tribute - April 23, 2018