As far as Christmas trees go, we don’t always have the best track record, but we have managed to sort one genius holiday win that has become our favorite decorating tradition: the kids’ Christmas tree. My husband was inspired to give this idea a go a few years ago, and I am so glad he did. We all now love having this tree in our home and have learned a few tricks to make it an easy success. Read on for the scoop and a cool chance to win a sweet $100 gift card to Wayfair.com!
5 Tips for Putting Up a Kids’ Christmas Tree in Your Home:
- Get a CHEAP tree. Listen, the kids won’t care if it’s fancy or simple, and chances are they might not be the most gentle when excitedly tossing ornaments on the branches. Grab something inexpensive and if gets a little beat up over the years, you won’t care. My husband was super smart about this and bought one on clearance after Christmas the year before he wanted to start this tradition.
- Make sure the tree is pre-lit. Trying to wrap lights around a tree and making sure all the bulbs work while the kids “help”? Not fun. Just trust me on this one and get one with the lights ready to go.
- Also, go for a tree that isn’t too much taller than your tallest kiddo. While they will grow over the years, the idea is for the kids to decorate it themselves. And kids, step stools, and ornaments aren’t a happy combination. Make it easy for them by keeping the tree at their level.
- Use the ornaments from your family tree that have seen a bit of wear along with the PILES of homemade ornaments the kids bring home from school each year. This is the perfect use for them! Never give your kids anything breakable or any meaningful ornaments you want to take special care of–save these for your family tree.
- Give the kids their ornaments, let them loose on the tree and LEAVE. If you’re anything like me, if you stay in the room, you’ll be tempted to direct their decorating efforts. If you allow them to completely decorate the tree on their own, they will take such pride in their efforts. This year, our kids were so excited to show us their tree when it was finished!
And check out this idea for a fun, new holiday tradition!
Has anyone else heard about the upside-down Christmas tree trend? Such a fun twist to spruce up your home! Did you know that it is actually a renaissance of an old tradition? I loved reading this history of upside-down Christmas trees. So interesting!
And Wayfair has a HUGE selection–check it out HERE! To celebrate this holiday decorating tradition, one of YOU is scoring a $100 Wayfair gift card. Enter by leaving a comment on this blog post telling us which tree from Wayfair’s Upside Down Christmas Tree selection is your favorite and you are entered! As long as you are 18 or older and comment before 12/8/17 at 5:30am EST, you are eligible!
Now that you have the whole scoop on how to ace a kids’ Christmas tree, go ahead and hop in on this tradition with your own kiddos, and make sure to leave a comment below telling us which Upside Down Christmas Tree is your favorite for a chance to win $100–perfect for getting whatever you need to start a new tradition or keep an old one going. Here’s to enjoying holiday decorating traditions and making special memories this season!
Latest posts by Meredith (see all)
- Hang out with the Big Guy at the Official Santa Site! - December 4, 2017
- The Stolen Marriage Book Club - December 1, 2017
- 5 Tips for Putting Up a Kids’ Christmas Tree in Your Home - November 29, 2017