Ever wish you could do something tangible to help tackle cancer? Having a mother who died from this disease five years ago, I know personally what a nasty beast it is, and want to do anything I can to help fight the good fight against it. When I discover an effort that works hard to channel awareness AND funds towards the cause, I’m so eager to support it. So when I heard about Bake It Happen, an innovative fundraising campaign started by two sisters with the mission is to find a cure for Metastatic Breast Cancer (MBC), I was delighted to get on board and help spread the word.
What is Bake It Happen?
- It is done in honor of Judy Levin, (the mother of Shari and Stacy who started it) a talented baker/cook and mom who sadly lost her battle with Metastatic Breast Cancer
- In its fifth year, with the cool help of strategic partners The Cancer Couch Foundation, Taste Buds Kitchen, Sweet Loren’s and Ford Warriors in Pink, it’s a fundraising effort which does not require you to raise any money! Score! Participants must only bake and share photos of Judy’s recipes on social media. An anonymous donor donates money for every Bake it Happen photo shared.
- 100% of the funds raised from Bake it Happen will go to directly to The Cancer Couch Foundation to fund Metastatic Breast Cancer Research.
- “Even throughout her six-year battle with Metastatic Breast Cancer, our mom’s kitchen was a communal table for family, friends and even strangers who embraced the tastes and love emanating from her dishes,” says Shari. Her sister, Stacy adds, “After receiving multiple requests for our mom’s recipes, we realized we could spread Judy’s culinary love — all in the name of Metastatic Breast Cancer research.” And so, in 2012, the Bake it Happen campaign was born.
- To date, the Bake it Happen campaign has raised over $60,000 for breast cancer research and this year, Shari and Stacy are determined to raise even more.
- A new strategic partnership with Taste Buds Kitchen, a Kids Kitchen by day and a BYOB Adult Kitchen by night offering cooking classes, parties, and special events, has formed special Bake It Happen themed classes this October for budding chefs ages 2 to 8 along with a caregiver to make a special recipe from the campaign. All locations have committed to donating a portion of the proceed from those classes to The Cancer Couch Foundation. Love how creative this partnership is!
- Additionally, Ford Warriors in Pink and Sweet Loren’s (amazing, all-natural cookie dough) have joined the campaign as social media partners and will help amplify the message about Bake It Happen via their digital platforms.
Why does Bake It Happen Matter?
- While 41,000 individuals die from MBC each year, little funding for research is allocated to this deadly disease. This creative fundraising campaign is specifically aimed at helping accelerate treatment options for patients battling this most aggressive form of breast cancer.
- This year, Bake It Happen will be donating all of the funds raised by its fundraising efforts to The Cancer Couch Foundation, a non-profit organization that is privately funded, allowing 100% of donations and event proceeds to go directly to carefully chosen research projects with the purpose of accelerating treatment for MBC. Furthermore, every single dollar is matched and this year they are on track to put 1 million dollars toward this life saving, critical research! Incredible!
- In the words of The Cancer Couch Foundation Founder Rebecca Timlin-Scalera, Ph.D. (Stage 3c), “I will never forget what it felt like to have been initially diagnosed at Stage 4, knowing there is no cure, and I will not leave behind those who are still living with this.”
What can you do to support Bake It Happen?
- BAKE. Grab one of Judy’s recipes, whip it up, snap a pic of your creation, and…
- Share it!:
- Post your baked good photos to our Facebook page @ubakeithappen with #bakeithappen
- Post your baked good photos to your own Facebook page with #bakeithappen
- Tweet about BIH using similar language: “This October, all you do is bake and share, then $$$ gets donated to Metastatic Breast Cancer #bakeithappen #breastcancer!”
- Instagram your awesome baked good photos with #bakeithappen to your profile and tag @bakeithappen00 too
- Snap photos of your Bake it Happen on snapchat.
- Funds are donated for every share!
Thanks for tuning in to hear about the good work Bake It Happen is doing to fight MBC, friends! Now whip out that apron and get your baking on! Let’s Bake It Happen!
***I was not compensated in any form for this post. I am honored to share the effort and purpose of Bake It Happen with you. Let’s give cancer the boot, friends!***
Latest posts by Meredith (see all)
- Hang out with the Big Guy at the Official Santa Site! - December 4, 2017
- The Stolen Marriage Book Club - December 1, 2017
- 5 Tips for Putting Up a Kids’ Christmas Tree in Your Home - November 29, 2017